Calendar - Field trips and Volunteer days
March 24 4th Sunday Bird and Nature Outing (Sunday, 1:30–3:00 p.m.).
Join this field trip on "Learning to Bird" with leaders Chuck Henrikson and Paul Noeldner. Join avid birder Chuck Henrikson to look for early Spring birds. Paul Noeldner will help beginning birders to learn how to use binoculars (some will be available), bird lookup tools, and techniques like understanding where different kinds of birds hang out. We will search for birds at Picnic Point, scope for migrating waterfowl on University Bay, check the Bluebird Trail at the Biocore Prairie, listen for Sandhill Cranes calling, and log our findings in eBird! Meet at UW parking lot 129 at the Picnic Point entrance.
March 31, Sunday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. meet at Picnic Point parking lot
• Winter Wonders
• Tundra swans on University Bay
• Lake Mendota record water levels ........ more
• Toxic Cyanobacteria Blooms on Lake Mendota—June 7 1nd June 27, 2018
• Experiencing Lake Mendota on a field trip —Marj Rhine
• New Path from Frautschi Point lot to the Biocore Prairle
• Prairie Interns: Education on the Job ..... more
• eBird Hotspot Picnic Point - quick link to latest bird sightings in the Preservecomprehensive .
Cyanobacteria Bloom on lake Mendota, June 27. 2018. Movie by Arlene Koziol
The Friends of the Lakeshore Nature Preserve inspires people to connect to and care for the Lakeshore Nature Preserve.
Stretching from the Eagle Heights Natural Area to Picnic Point and the Lakeshore Path, the Preserve is a jewel of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, distinguishing it as one of the most beautiful in the country. The Preserve is open to the public.
Please see our Mission and Goals and join us in caring for the Preserve. We invite you to explore the Preserve on this web site and in person, and attend Volunteer Days and free Field Trips.
UW-Madison Lakeshore Nature Preserve website maintained by the Preserve management staff.